Thursday, May 28, 2009
Half Way to the Top
Last weekend was Memorial Day work camp at Camp Cherokee. On Sabbath I planed to go hiking. There was just one problem. Who was I going to go with? There was no other camp staff there. Craig Gilmore said he wanted to go but ended up taking a small group of teens canoeing. My parents did not care for the idea of me going alone so finally my dad said that he would go. I decided that we would do Phelps and Table Top. These would by my 22nd and 23rd high peaks, putting me half way to the 46 high peaks. The day was fairly nice, mostly cloudy and in the 60's. The black files and mosquitoes were out, but did not bother you much as long as you were moving. We hiked in from South Meadows to Marcy Dam in good time. But the 1 mile up Phelps really took its toll on my dad. So he said to go on to Table Top and he would meet me back at Marcy Dam. There were many other hikers that were out on the trails. I passed many of them going the other way as I made my way to the second mountain. The view from Phelps was good, as you could see the whole Great Range (which I completed the previous summer). Though from Table Top, being so round on the top of the mountain, you could not see much through the trees. There were several interesting things on this hike, but we made it back safe and sound. I hiked some 15 miles while my dad was not far from it with about 10 miles that afternoon. So I now have done half of the 46 high peaks and my dad finished his first. I am looking forward to a lot more hiking and high peaks this summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! You're 1/2-way done! Sweet! Did you take any pictures?
No I forgot my camera at home, and the lens on the camp camera isn't working right.
Post a Comment