“Fanaticism, false excitement, false talking in tongues, and noisy exercises have been considered gifts which God has placed in the church. Some have been deceived here. The fruits of all this have not been good. “Ye shall know them by their fruits.” Fanaticism and noise have been considered special evidences of faith. Some are not satisfied with a meeting unless they have a powerful and happy time. They work for this and get up an excitement of feeling. But the influence of such meetings is not beneficial. When the happy flight of feeling is gone they sink lower than before the meeting because their happiness did not come from the right source.
The most profitable meeting for spiritual advancement are those which are characterized with solemnity and deep searching of heart, each seeking to know himself and earnestly and deep humility seeking to learn of Christ.”
When I read this it reminded me of campmeeting. Every year there is a big hype over the event. People look forward to it for different reasons, whether it is seeing people they haven’t seen in a while, hearing a big name speaker, or having their spirituality “revived”. I personally have not enjoyed campmeeting as much as I used to. Whether it is being introverted, or that hardly anyone my age comes anymore, or all the hype about the event that has collectively increased my disinterest about campmeeting. I am not saying that I don’t like to hear good speakers, because I do like hearing them. Though it is the feeling of a need for everything to be all spiritually high, but as this quote point out, will actually bring people lower than they were before, because they try and survive on the “spiritual high” afterwards. Does this quote from Ellen White explain a reason why so many people, including young people, have left the church?
If you feel impressed to comment on this question, please do so!
4 comments:
Hmm well good point, but I do like seeing my friends that I haven't seen in a while and besides somebody's got to make rubins a the snack bar :p but your right so many times after being so inspired at campmeeting but the later finding my self vainly try to stay on that spiritual high. :(
That is very challenging to us. It makes me think that church maybe should be a little more like the worships we used to have at Tuesday afternoon potluck in the dorms. By the way, I wish I could have seen you while I was here at Southern, but I am glad that you are getting to experience Peru. Keep following God's guidance in everything.
Your Roomie, Brian
That is a very interesting quote. I think it is true... People don't go to meetings, etc. for the right reasons. I don't think it is bad to enjoy things, but if all we are in something for is the enjoyment, then because it is so shallow, it will soon dissolve.
Are you a fluent Spanish speaker now??
I am still learning Spanish slowly. I came here knowing more French than Spanish. Hopefully by the end of the year.
Post a Comment